Dog'ged Juniors

Forums

Forum Home > Other Pets > Parakeets

Sarah Richards
Site Owner

Keane and I are watching Megan's (my sister-in-law) two parakeets over Christmas break. They're out of their cage right now, flying around and chirping happily. I like them so much better when they're out of their cage... it's awfully cute when they climb on my finger, or land on Keane's head. They aren't very graceful little things, constantly flapping around clumsily looking for their perch, and ocassionally running into a wall. :roll:

The dogs don't seem to mind them -- Will ignores them, Stormy looks like she'd like to take a taste, but knows she'd get into trouble, and Ella is just a curious puppy. What has been your experience with birds and dogs (or cats?).

--

Gone Sleddin'

Sarah

January 6, 2010 at 9:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

KateFTQ

Cats have been a mix. We used to have a barn cat named Cooper who was great with the dogs - he never ran and when Flash first encountered him as a puppy calmly put a paw on her head - no claws - as if to try to subdue her. Our current barn cat, Fire, runs so of course they chase.

As for house cats, for a while we had several older females. Tiger mingled with the dogs and would often curl up with them, the black cats basically avoided them and Sam taught every dog early on that she was in charge. As long as the cats don't run, the dogs seem to get used to them quickly and don't bother them.

We haven't had a house cat in several years now since the old girls died. I'm guessing the only issue we would have with a new one is Queezle as she didn't grow up with cats other than Fire, who she chases.

--

Kate with Flash, Tia and Queezle

January 6, 2010 at 10:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Anna

We used to have finches when I was little but they never lasted beyond a year( I think the cats had something to do with it:roll:)

--

January 8, 2010 at 8:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

KateFTQ

Just realized you were asking about cats and parakeets, not cats and dogs. Oops :D

--

Kate with Flash, Tia and Queezle

January 8, 2010 at 9:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Magsanddogs

I have 2 cockatiels. The 3 older cats don't bother them but we found a kitten recently and he thinks they r the best thing next 2 tuna juice! So he would bother them quite often. But I think the the male cockatiel, Smokey, nailed him a good one w/ his beak (and they can bite!) so he hasn't been bothering them much anymore. Or mayb it was a passing fad. *shrugs* Czech comes in the house a bit and doesn't give them a second thought. 

Thats my experience btween cats/dogs and birds.

January 18, 2010 at 12:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

roymkaa

Popular Football Jerseys are on hot sale. You will enjoy many great jerseys with a very favorable price in our discount NFL Jerseys online store, such as Chicago Bears Jerseys and New York Giants Jerseys. Enjoy our Throwback Jerseys now with free shipping and fast delivery. Welcome to buy now!

--
NFL Jerseys Football Jerseys
March 2, 2011 at 5:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.